Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 14:40:29 -0400
From:      T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>, "'Laszlo Vagner'" <george@vagner.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to stop resolv.conf from being updated

A sledgehammer approach to make it work:

Comment out the following lines from /sbin/dhclient-script

make_resolv_conf() {
  if [ x"$new_domain_name_servers" != x ]; then
    if [ "x$new_domain_name" != x ]; then
      echo search $new_domain_name >/etc/resolv.conf
    else
      rm /etc/resolv.conf
    fi
    for nameserver in $new_domain_name_servers; do
      echo nameserver $nameserver >>/etc/resolv.conf
    done
  fi
}

This will prevent dhcp from making a new /etc/resolv.conf file (on boot,
re-boot).  Whatever nameserver you enter in /etc/resolv.conf will stay put.

(I had to take this approach some years ago when I was using an apple airport
basestation as my gateway, and the dhcp server software kept assigning
10.0.1.1 as my nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.)

Check the dhclient.conf man page, too, for less drastic measures.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT