Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:35:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, piet@cup.hp.com
Subject:   Re: Looking for Suggestion on Booting FreeBSD 3.0 [snip] from 7895 [snip]

> Hi David, Cory, Dave, Folks:
>
>         I thought it was about time to try out
> FreeBSD, most likely 3.0, so I picked up a PC
> board from Gigabyte, the GA-6BXDS Dual Scsi-3
> that has an onboard Adaptec 7895 controler.
> About a year ago you (David) said Justin was working
> on a 7895 scsi controler. I didn't see anything
> in the FreeBSD handbook on support for the Adaptic
> 7895 (seems to be getting rather out of date).
> Now I've read from Cory that you need a CAM scsi
> driver. Last I see it was still only available as
> patches. Why is it taking so long to get it integrated
> into the current src? So I have to get an IDE drive and
> install onto that, get the CAM patches (from where?),
> run patch, etc... and linux supports it a standard
> controler? I can't believe this.

Please don't send this to so many people.  I've snipped
26 or so Email address off the reply.  Direct this to
freebsd-questions only.

If you had looked at the FreeBSD 3.0 release notes from
the web site, you would have seen:

    2.1. Disk Controllers
    ---------------------
    WD1003 (any generic MFM/RLL)
    WD1007 (any generic IDE/ESDI)
    IDE
    ATA

    Adaptec 1535 ISA SCSI controllers
    Adaptec 154x series ISA SCSI controllers
    Adaptec 174x series EISA SCSI controller in standard and enhanced mode.
    Adaptec 274X/284X/2920/2940/2950/3940/3950 (Narrow/Wide/Twin) series
    EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI controllers.
    Adaptec AIC7850, AIC7880, AIC789x, on-board SCSI controllers.

Yes, AIC789x is supported where x=5.

Dan Eischen