Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:51:14 -0500
From:      csg@waterspout.com (C. Stephen Gunn)
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 802.1q vlans and STABLE

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:13:03 EST, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 11:17 AM 2/24/2001 -0500, C. Stephen Gunn wrote:
>
> >2/3 of our traffic started showing up on the wrong logical network.
>
> How did you work around it ? Or were you able to ?

We had to disable CEF on those subnets.  Or only have two vlan's
per interface card.

I also hacked together a weird patch to mutate the MAC address from
the parent card, but that didn't help since the Cisco threw away
too much info in the hash (apparently).  I'm sure that I could
have gotten that to work, but it was the wrong solution.

Cisco opened a bug on it for PU, so there may be an option in newer
CEF capable switches for how to deal with hash collisions.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn <csg@waterspout.com>   |   WaterSpout Communications, Inc.