Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:35:58 +0200
From:      "Jacques S." <offbyone@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making FreeBSD More Lean/Efficient On Older Laptop...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I do want a desktop manager. Is there a
> central site for most/all desktop managers?

All window managers that have been ported to FreeBSD are listed
separately in the ports tree, at /etc/ports/x11-wm
I don't know whether all of the wm's that have been recommended by
others responding to your question are among them, but it presents a
long list of possibilities.

Let me add to the others who have recommended it, WindowMaker as my
personal choice. Even WindowMaker has been 'gaining weight' in the last
few years, but if you study it a little, you can trim in down in your
own installation.

As for Gnome and the 'fat' thereof...note that a *lot* of FreeBSD ported
apps. rely on Gnome components that are installed as environmental
dependencies, even if you do not run the desktop itself. It's all the
product of the FreeBSD Gnome Project. These Gnome environment components
have to be sorted out on a port-by-port basis. I found pkg_tree
(/usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_tree) to be helpful.

--
Jacques