Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:19:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virus and Spam Filtering

	We currently use Postini to filter spam and viruses, however
Postini is raising prices shortly and we are looking for an alternative.
We run FreeBSD 4.0 with QPopper as the POP3 server, Sendmail as the SMTP
server and Procmail as the delivery agent.

	I'm looking for possibilities that we should consider as an ISP
(with several thousand mail accounts) to replace our current service with
Postini. Furthermore, the following information will be very helpful:

	- What do most large mail servers run?
	- Are the programs that do the filtering harsh on the CPU/Memory?
	- How GOOD do the programs work:
          - Virus defs. updated often?
	  - Spam filtering works well?
	- When a message is "filtered", is there a way to GET it? Or does
the program simply delete it?

	Any information on what you run on your own server, or any
external program (we used to be with MAPS, then I guess they went down
hill, is ORBS any good or do they still suck as well?) will be VERY
helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Scott