Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:43:46 +1030
From:      "W. Sierke" <ovirt@optusnet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using maildrop from sendmail aliases file

"W. Sierke" wrote:
> I am attempting to configure sendmail to pass mail addressed to a
particular
> domain to maildrop.
> I've added the following to the sendmail configuration:
>
> in /etc/mail/virtusertable
> @second.domain.tld    second-domain-tld
>

> and in /etc/mail/aliases
> second-domain-tld:    "| /usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ws@first.domain.tld"
>
> It looks as though it's ready to work except for this in /var/log/maillog:
> Dec 25 17:05:19 maildrop[75657]: Cannot set my user or group id.
>

> Presumably this is because maildrop wants to set itself to run as
user:vmail
> and the existing setup I have works as-is because getmail (which calls
> maildrop) is configured to run as user:vmail in /etc/crontab.

More guessing (as I'm still not clear on the specifics of what is
failing)...

Is sendmail running as user:smmsp when it's calling maildrop? That would
explain why maildrop isn't able to change itself to user:vmail, no? Should
setting the setuid bit circumvent this? When I try that I get:

Dec 26 15:08:20 maildrop[93442]: You are not a trusted user.

where I guess "You" = smmsp?

If this is the case, then it must be a problem for any program run from
/etc/mail/aliases, is this just too hard to do on a default FreeBSD? Still
out of my depth here but learning a bit more. :)

Wayne