Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:08:15 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 more installation problems!

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:52:32PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Out of the box, as said, I tried to upgrade a machine running previously
> under XFree86-4.1.X. I deleted all 'old' stuff by the pkg_delete -f
> routine and then I tried to install first XFree86-4-libraries.
>
> After imake-4 was build normaly, freetype2 got build but with errors.
> Someone messed up with 'make' and 'gmake' and that has not been patched.
> I fiddled around a while and got freetype2 build the normal way
> in the 'normal' search path (/usr/X11R6 instead of /usr/local).
> Then I tried to build the XFree86 port again, but I always! run into this
> error:
> In file included from xftint.h:30,
>                  from xftcfg.c:28:
> XftFreetype.h:29: freetype/freetype.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/public/gnu/compile/system/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/x11/XFree86-4-libraries/work/xc/lib/Xft.
> *** Error code 1
> The files are already there, but I think there is a toplevel search path missing ...
>
> Well, its enough to complain about the problems with XFree86-4, why has this crap been merged into
> the tree and where is the old, working port?????

Umm.. as far as I can see your problem is with freetype2 not
XFree86.  Fiddling with ports isn't a good idea unless you know
what you're doing and when you do that you should report what you
actually did... otherwise this is a useless cry to get the port
converted back to its old ways for no good reason.

Regards,
--
wca