Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:14:17 -0500
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Michiel Boland <michiel@boland.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Mattia Rossi <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: still problems with intel video

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org> wrote=
:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 14:11 +1100, Mattia Rossi wrote:
>> Robert Noland wrote:

>> > I'm going to try and work on getting better debugging info from the
>> > intel driver. =A0I don't have access to any newer Intel hardware at th=
>> > moment, so testing is tricky.
>> >
>> > There is a tuneable for just msi on drm hw.drm.msi.
>> >
>> > robert.
>> >

>> Yep, correct - here it is again - just had to log out of KDE, and after
>> logging in again, everything was slow as hell.
>> I didn't fiddle with the msi settings, just rebooted the machine, and
>> everything is fine again.
>> So there must be something that works the first time X is started, but
>> upon restart stuffs up. Like some lock or reference which is not freed.
>
> There is a problem with restarting X on at least some Intel chips...
> This is a different issue, I was trying to look into that a little bit
> yesterday, but it kinda works on this 915 that I have, so I haven't
> isolated what is getting messed up. =A0Again, vt switch, suspend/resume
> are in the same ballpark, restart is not.
>
> robert.
>
>> Mat
>> >>

> --
> Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
> FreeBSD

I have been switching to the vty at which I started X in order to
terminate X. If I try to terminate X while I'm in it, it just "hangs"
-- I have to switch to the vty, ctrl-c it, wait, then blindly key in a
reboot to get my system back up. IIRC, this started happening after I
upgraded to Xorg 7.4.

I thought that Mattia might be doing the same thing as a work-around
for the freezing intel-driven display thing, thus the X-to-vty switch
"fix" of disabling msi...

-Brandon