Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 21:53:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Pilli <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail.local permissions

In message <87pukb19r6.fsf@mursu.pesa.fi> Pilli writes:
: Just cvsup'ed to 4.2-BETA and sendmail's  local mailer refused to play
: ball. After a little hair-pulling I noticed the permissions of
: /usr/libexec/mail.local lacked the setuid bit. Mail.local would return
: an error (75 if I recall) everytime it was called because it didn't
: have permissions to write to /var/mail/so-and-so.

Please see the latest entry in UPDATING (soon to be commited to 4.x):
20001020:
	****************************** WARNING ******************************
				Sendmail has been updated.
	****************************** WARNING ******************************
	o mail.local(8) is no longer installed as a set-user-id binary.
	o sendmail(8) is now built with STARTTLS support unless NO_OPENSSL
	  is set.
	o The default /etc/mail/sendmail.cf disables the SMTP EXPN and VRFY
	  commands.
	o Now using sendmail's version of vacation(1).
	o The sendmail cf building tools (contrib/sendmail/cf) are installed
	  in /usr/share/sendmail/cf.
	o sendmail.cw changed to local-host-names

	More details can be found at
		http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/UPDATING/sendmail-20001010