Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:48:15 -0400
From:      Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -newbies

David Johnson wrote:

> Rick Hamell wrote:
> >
> >         FreeBSD-newbies needs to be removed. I've been on it since it was
> > created and can say that it is not living up to it's orginal purpose. If I
> > remeber right, and a quick check of the archives seems to confirm,
> > -newbies was created only if no questions were asked there. In the last
> > year or two it has been a low-traffic list. Most every post across it has
> > either been a cross-post, OR a question!
>
> Recheck your archives. Questions are allowed, just not technical
> questions. Questions like "how to configure X" are a no-no, but
> questions like "what window managers should I check out" is okay.
> Overall, I wouldn't say that "most" every post was wrong. Maybe 25% were
> misguided. In the interests of helping newbies, occasional posts on the
> order of "the kids are misbehaving" is not constructive.
>
> Perhaps the problem is that the name is wrong. In every other set of
> mailing lists, -newbies is for newbies with questions. Maybe the name
> -newbies-chat would indicate that the list is for newbies, yet not for
> questions...
>
> --
> David Johnson

I dunno if it is a good thing to post to the whole group. But here goes...As I
look over the various *nix groups. So far the FreeBSD group is most hlpful and
informative.Sometimes things wwander off topic but over-all it seems pretty
good. The newbie stuff ends upoverall in newbies, and the hacker stuff in
hackers. There is some drift but it just doen't seem that bad, at least to the
level of hue and cry it has raised. More newbie discussion seems to be happening
that misplaced messages. Everythime one has a strong rule bound area those rules
are going to get transgressed. Some of the rules do seem a bit petty, but serve
someone of a good pupose. Maybe we do need a a newbie question list.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve