Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:57:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        <arch@freebsd.org>, <iedowse@freebsd.org>, <wpaul@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RPC over unix domain socket issue

Hi Alfred,

> One other thing I noticed was that the client code simply discards
> any ceredentials it reads, and the server sends them anyway.  I
> was able to change the server to client communication to use simple
> read/write syscalls and it worked just dandy.  Any reason for not
> doing this?  I understand why we might want to check the credentials
> of the server, but currently the RPC over unix domain sockets
> doesn't do this, a workaround (if you don't trust the server) is
> to have your client rpc tell the server to generate a callback to
> you where you can then check the credentials.

Afaik I know, and after some talk with Bill, the creds get only filled out
from client -> server. It is not yet implemented for server -> client. If
you read the code carefully, you will see this. Make a callback is a good
idea for a workaround. Maybe we should note this in the docs ? Also, at
the moment we have only "tpi_cots_ord" available for creds, not the
connectionless transport "tpi_clts". Would this help you for you
application ? We would have to add there creds too ...

Beside this. There are about 5-6 little problems with the CURRENT code and
UNIX-Domains. I have some commented patches available for this:

They are in:

http://home.teleport.ch/freebsd/userland/

Ian will look at them and commit them sometime, when he has more time
again. But in the meantime they may help you :-) I'm open for changes and
fixes.

Martin

Martin Blapp, mb@imp.ch