Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:51:27 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        Michael Imor <umji@cs.sunyit.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor Performance from Linux RealPlayer

One thing to consider is that the RealPlayer is a product and that
we don't have access to their code. It is a little different
for publicly available programs where we can rectify or improve
the code whenever we can . In the case of the RealPlayer the
responsibility clearly falls on the company and even if the
XFree86 group provides the functionality it is still up to
the company responsible for the product to take advantage of
functionality such as an interface to hardware assist scaling.

	Amancio