Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:31:38 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        Bill Kirkland <bill.kirkland@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb bluetooth headset

Bill,

> I am having difficulties with the configuration of my sony DR-BT1
> wireless headset.
> I have appended the output from diagnostic commands I believe to be relev=
ent,
> though it is apparent I am not understanding something ... any
> assistance would be
> greatly appreciated.

lets take a look

> Aug 10 20:32:22 ash syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
> Aug 10 20:32:22 ash kernel: ubt0: Broadcom Bluetooth USB Dongle, rev
> 1.10/0.03, addr 2
> Aug 10 20:32:22 ash kernel: ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints:
> interrupt=3D0x81, bulk-in=3D0x82, bulk-out=3D0x2
> Aug 10 20:32:22 ash kernel: ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 4)
> endpoints: isoc-in=3D0x83, isoc-out=3D0x3; wMaxPacketSize=3D64; nframes=
=3D5,
> buffer size=3D320

[...]

everything looks the way it should. no problem here

> + hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
> Inquiry result, num_responses=3D1
> Inquiry result #0
>         BD_ADDR: headset
>         Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>         Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>         Page Scan Mode: 00
>         Class: 20:04:04
>         Clock offset: 0x34de
> Inquiry result, num_responses=3D1
> Inquiry result #0
>         BD_ADDR: headset
>         Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>         Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>         Page Scan Mode: 00
>         Class: 20:04:04
>         Clock offset: 0x34de
> Inquiry result, num_responses=3D1
> Inquiry result #0
>         BD_ADDR: headset
>         Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>         Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>         Page Scan Mode: 00
>         Class: 20:04:04
>         Clock offset: 0x34de
> Inquiry result, num_responses=3D1
> Inquiry result #0
>         BD_ADDR: headset
>         Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>         Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>         Page Scan Mode: 00
>         Class: 20:04:04
>         Clock offset: 0x34de
> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]

this looks great too, except for duplicated inquiry response messages.
i really puzzled why is this happening, but i can tell that this does
not seem like bluetooth code fault.

i have broadcom chip based bluetooth dongle myself (belkin f8t001) and
it has similar behavior. i checked hcidump and in my case device
indeed sends these duplicated inquiry response messages. i have never
seen this with csr chip based bluetooth devices.

> + hccontrol -n nbt0hci remote_name_request headset
> Could not execute command "remote_name_request". Operation timed out

this is strange. could you please run hcidump while you are doing
"remote_name_request" and verify that you are getting back responses
from the device? hcidump can be installed from the ports collection
comms/hcidump.

did you try to execute this command few times in a row?=20

you could also try to specify different "page scan repetition mode",
"page scan mode" and "clock offset", i.e.

beetle% hccontrol help remote_name_request
Usage: remote_name_request <BD_ADDR> <ps_rep_mode> <ps_mode> <clock_offset>

The Remote_Name_Request command is used to obtain the user-friendly
name of another Bluetooth unit.

        <BD_ADDR>      - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx BD_ADDR or name
        <ps_rep_mode>  - dd; page scan repetition mode [0-2]
        <ps_mode>      - dd; page scan mode [0-3]
        <clock_offset> - xxxx; clock offset [0 - 0xffff]

thanks,
max