Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:17:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Cc:        orlando@break.net, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare3 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> [I wrote:]
>
>> A couple more data points, both from vmware3 on 5.3-RELEASE:
>>                            ^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> System 1.
>
>FreeBSD version????

See above.

>The bogus kern.hz warning isnt really bogus, just the display
>value is wrong.

I realized that, just didn't want to get too verbose since you posted
the explanation just a few messages back.

>Try running your kernel at hz=256, that should kill the warninng,

Thanks, but I'm not motivated.:-)

>> System 2.
>
>FreeBSD version???

See above.

>This is what I have running now on 5.4p8, works very well.  Especially
>if you match kern.hz to the vmware rtc hz of 256, or use an integral
>multiple of it (512 or 768 should be good too).

Actually I don't recall seeing the kern.hz message on this system -
might be because I don't kldload rtc? Don't quite remember why, but I
think it caused VMwares with Win guests to be CPU hogs even when idle.
Might be a thing of the past though.

--Per Hedeland