Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:34:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mit@dreamlabs.com>, <freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE:(2) about @XX.freebsd.org email account policies...???

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> I was thinking of this little bit. I have came to the conclusion that
> perhaps its not right to give free email accounts with @xx.freebsd.org =)

Free?  You mean charge for them?  ;)

I'm in charge of nz.freebsd.org.  I never gave out addresses at first.  I
was very leary of doing that.  Then I started to delegate the work.
I gave ftp@ to the guy in charge of the ftp server.  But I never gave
someone an email address unless they needed it to do their job.  e.g. I
didn't give my mate Tom one just so he could be part of the domain.

> The suggestion that the people who wants to have an @xx.freebsd.org email
> address should apply to the freebsd team directly is great but again
> it would require some amount of processing on the freebsd team. But
> instead if we define some guidelines on giving @xx.freebsd.org email
> addresses perhaps the people who administrate DNS records of
> xx.freebsd.org domains could also administrate the distribution of local
> email accounts of the people who contribute to the project in some way in
> their local region.

The people in charge of xx.freebsd.org already have charge of email
for that domain.  It's a characteristic of DNS.

> So the question arises that who would define the guidelines of giving
> @xx.freebsd.org email accounts etc. for the local sites? Any contact
> emails etc. that you can inform or provide?

IMHO, those that do the work, get the addresses.