Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 01:37:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   master.passwd Crash Files

Hello All,

Just curious if there's an actually good way to keep
/etc/master.passwd.crash* files from being chmoded 644.  I've got entries
added to rc.local and crontab which take care of this on bootup and every
few minutes respectfully, but is there some way to make it set chmod 600
automatically?  It seems like a nuisance to have backups of something like
master.passwd generated with world-readable permissions, but I'm sure I'm
missing something. :)  We have a lot of users that telnet into our system
and I don't think I'll ever have "peace of mind" until this is fixed in
some way...  then again, what administrator ever has "peace of mind"? ;)

Merry Christmas...

---
 Mike Hoskins
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.