Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:44:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting the JDK

> I have been reading the Sun Community Source License for about
> an hour now, but it is still not clear to me: if I were to begin
> an effort to port the 1.3 jdk, would I be in violation of the
> license, if I published the necessary patches on this list?

Maybe, but probably not.  Publishing the patches should be limited to
those folks who have already signed the SCSL license, although Sun
doesn't seem to mind if others look at the patches.

> If so, the only way to produce a legal native 1.3 jdk would be
> to pay some fee to Sun and obtain the right to use the JCK, work
> with it and publish the binary code?

To create a binary version, this is necessary yes.  Fortunately, we do
have access to the JCK, although the rights for binary distribution are
*still* being worked on.

Nate