Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 02:25:06 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printing and ppbus?

Just curious what exactly has happened to the printing system with the
3.x BSD (3.1-RELEASE in particular).  I use the print filter that is
described in the FreeBSD handbook for combining text and postscript
files on the same printer using ghostscript.  I used this exact same
script (plus a few simpler variations thereof) on earlier (2.x) FreeBSD
releases without any problem.

However, on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE, if I print postscript, I now see the
first few lines of text normally, then things start to fall apart.  A
lot of what looks like unprintable control characters start spewing out
of the printer (looks like someone lpr'ed a binary file).

The system: FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE
The printer: HP Deskjet 672c
The interpreter: ghostscript-5.50

There's also the occasional problem of dropped characters and other
wierdness when printing plain text files, too.

What I'd like to know is:
 a) is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
 b) is this likely to be a fault of the new parallel port code in 3.1?
 c) is there a patch?

I *do* need to find a solution to this as soon as possible as this is
quite a large problem.

Thank you.
--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."