Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 95 10:19:26 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        mrami@remote1-line1.cis.yale.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DECserver problems

[ ... DNS problems assumed ... ]

> >This very well could be it... I'll give it a try tomorrow.  Assuming you
> >are right, is there a way I can circumvent this problem (besides
> >'properly administer the network'... not in my hands)?
>
>    You could try changing the lookup order in /etc/host.conf from bind then
> hosts to hosts then bind (IMO, we should make this the default), and then add
> a host entry for the DECserver in /etc/hosts.

Or don't access network resources in your system or personal .login/.profile/
.cshrc/.bashrc/etc.

This is generally a good rule of thumb in any case, especially for things
like amd auto-mounts in your PATH (make them static mounts instead).  Also,
if you *must* access network resources in the PATH, put them last.  For
network operations in the startup scripts (like, say, auto-setting the
X display from the remote host name, etc.), put out messages that that's
what's going on.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---