Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:50:05 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, kellydeanch@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Why is procfs deprecated in favor of procstat?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 06:55:38PM +0000, Hugo Silva wrote:
> >For years now I have been considering a sysctl filesystem (e.g. mounted
> >as /sysctl) which would solve this dilemma.  Read-only might be a wise
> >choice for this too.  But this is beyond my skill set at this time, and
> >the existing documentation/examples for a pseudo filesystem are really
> >not that great.
> >

> http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?mount_sysctlfs++NetBSD-current

This is fantastic, except for the fact that it's abstracted by something
called puffs.  I took a look at the NetBSD source code for this
(src/usr.sbin/puffs/mount_sysctlfs, tag netbsd-5) and puffs is
absolutely required for it to work.

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?puffs+4+NetBSD-current
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?puffs+3+NetBSD-current

Simply put, someone would have to port puffs for mount_sysctlfs to work
on FreeBSD.  There is already efforts underway to do that, but I have
absolutely no idea what the status of it is:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2009TatsianaSeveryna

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |