Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:35:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Outdated ports

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Greg Black wrote:

> What is the recommended approach to use when a port specified
> in /usr/ports is for an older release of the software and you
> really want to use the current version?

I ftp ftp.cdrom.com and get the current port. For example, if you want
xplot, move your existing /usr/ports/math/xplot to
/usr/ports/math/xplot.old, go to ftp.cdrom.com and get xplot.tar from
/.2/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/math and un-tar it in /usr/ports/math.
Then run make on the new port, and voila!

note:  xplot.tar won't exist on ftp.cdrom.com, but when you ask for it,
it'll be made on the fly, and you'll get the xplot directory with
everything in it -- 1.38 KB.

Also, your new port may be dependent on other *new* ports, resulting in an
exponentially growing task.  What's more, it may require newer versions of
other files, such as shared libraries, which you'll also have to get.

After messing around like this, I decided to use only the ports included
on the CD that I installed from. If I want a newer version of a port,
I'll just wait until I upgrade the whole ports tree and the system.
Everything seems to work much better when it's all off the same CD.

> A related question: what is the meaning of "B-deps" and "R-deps"
> when you do "make print-index" in /usr/ports?

I don't know this.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering