Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:30:27 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-small" <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting and Corruption Rehashed

> : The problem was this little paragraph from `man mount`:
> :
> : > Switching a filesystem back and forth between asynchronous
> : > and normal op­eration or between read/write and read/only
> : > access using ``mount -u'' may gradually bring about severe
> : > filesystem corruption.
> :
> : Someone spoke up and said that they had actually
> : experienced this corruption.
>
> I've not seen corruption.  However, I oly change one or
> two files somewhat infrequently and tend to reboot often
> when I'm changing the underlying filesystem.

Good.  I don't need to change stuff much or often in my application,
either.  However, as soon as I get something booted using flash as root,
I'll do some testing to see if heavy writes + repeated remounting does
indeed cause corruption in a DiskOnChip.

> The superblock gets updated from time to time.

Aye, there's the rub!

> Also, when things are mounted r/o you can power off at any
> time and know that the filesystem will be stable when you
> come back.

Aye, there's the other rub!

Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)
jss@subatomix.com