Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:34:01 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 01:36:33AM +0200, Mark Huizer wrote:
> > See the conversion guidelines for more details:
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/~asami/elf-guidelines.txt
>
> Well, I started looking for it alright, but it seems a bit rude to me to
> just make it libslang.1, and considering that the libslang makefile is
> talking about elf major and minor version numbers, I got confused a
> little :-) does elf except only major, or is that a FreeBSD specific
> thing, or what? And why doesn't it matter when versions get upgraded and
> all?

That was my concern. Surely there must come a time when two versions of
a shared library exist (with identical major version numbers), and an
application requires to be dynamically linked to the older of the two
because of some incompatability with the newer library?

Assuming there is a good reason to use a single (major) version number
in the naming scheme, there is a fair bit of work to do to update
(a) every port that builds a shared object (149 of them), and (b) every
port that depends on a shared library being installed (318 of them)...
Those ports maintainers better get cracking :)

> Mark

Joe

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008