Date:      11 Mar 2001 19:25:12 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
Cc:        "Tyler K McGeorge" <treznor@sunflower.com>, "Damien Tougas" <damien@carroll.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com> writes:
> > I switched to C after several years of BASIC and Pascal,
> > on a recommendation from my eldest brother.
> Do you recommend starting with another language as a stepping stone before
> diving into C or is it all right to just begin with C?

Start with C, and no matter what anyone says, stay away from C++ until
you really understand C.

Other people will say "start with Java" or "start with Perl" or "start
with Python" or "start with Ruby"... but Perl will only teach you bad
habits, Java will probably only frustrate you with its extremely slow
edit-compile-run cycle, and while Python and Ruby are fine languages,
they won't prepare you for C (and you *will* end up hacking C sooner
or later...) Any other language will be either too old to be of
interest, or lack the large base of existing documentation and code
that C, C++, Perl, Java, and lately Python and Ruby enjoy.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org