Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 08:40:57 PDT
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Credit where it's due

Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> To give you an analogy, one of the things that really throws me everytime
> I see a Linux box booting up is the various copyrights as the boot probes
> go by.  I'd never expect to see a
>
>     [...]
>     fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x05 int a irq 10
>     fxp0: Driver written by David Greenman <dg@FreeBSD.org>
>     [...]
>
> in FreeBSD.

     This issue just popped up yesterday on slashdot.  For a view from
the peanut gallery, check out, "Advertising in Your Boot Sequence?":

> Perhaps a workable solution would be an "acknowledgements" block at the
> start of the Handbook (and/or FAQ), something like:

     Another good place would be an appendix, especially if the list
grows large.

     I think giving credit is a good idea, although it should be
unobtrusive.  A paragraph in the introduction, or some appendix in the
back, are good places.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com