Date:      12 Aug 1998 16:48:46 +0100
From:      freebsd-net-list@salford.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 net performance and panic with 1000's of sockets open

In article <6pigce$a6k$1@flea.best.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@best.net> wrote:
>    There are a lot of factors that can slow a transfer down.  If you are
>    transfering from a disk file, for example, you will be limited to what
>    the disk can do.  If you are doing encryption (i.e. scp or ssh) you will
>    be limited to 2-4 MBytes/sec depending on the cpu.  If the TCP window
>    is too small the datarate will be limited.  If the ethernet has CRC
>    errors on it the datarate will be limited (due to TCP backoff).  If the
>    ethernet is half duplex, the packet rate will limit the datarate due
>    to transmit collisions.

Yeah, I realise this. However, as I said, the workstation and server
are both plugged into the same 100TX switch. The workstation is running
2.2.7-STABLE and the server runs either 2.2.7-STABLE or Netware 4.11,
depending on which disk it boots from. Thus each server OS has exactly
the same hardware and network traffic.

>tick# route -n change news2 -recvpipe 65536 -sendpipe 65536
>tick:/home/dillon> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1m count=64 | rsh news2.best.com "cat >/dev/null"
>64+0 records in
>64+0 records out
>67108864 bytes transferred in 7.341502 secs (9141027 bytes/sec)

I try this and get no more the ~4.2MBs. The workstation and the server
are both P166. This is with everything killed on the machines except
the necessary processes. Maybe the CPU's aren't up to it, under 227?

BTW 227 was cvsupped and compiled this morning.

--
Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.