Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:45:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP - change in CDRIOC.*SPEED ioctl units

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> writes:
>
> > I have examined many common ports including cdrecord, tosha, dagrab and am
> > reasonably certain no one is using the CDRIOC*SPEED ioctls outside of
> > cdcontrol and burncd.  Since they are only found in FreeBSD, the only
> > problem may be a 3rd-party commercial application (if there is one).  A
> > possible workaround would be to specify speed as 177 for 1x, etc.
> >
> > The reason this was MFCd is that it is impossible to tell the drive to use
> > the max speed by sending 0xffff since the kernel was multiplying by 177.
> > See the PR referenced in the original commit. This limited functionality
> > in the MMC command set.  There are still limitations (only one of READ,
> > WRITE speed may be set and the other is automatically set to max) but that
> > would break the API to change.
>
> You must be kidding. Let the kernel figure 0xffff is magic and be done,
> one line of code. No need to make dozens of maintainers change their
> applications. Why does the application have to deal with raw kB/s rates
> at all?

I'm not going to debate API since as I said before, the API is
fundamentally limiting.  It was written to support one program
(burncd) and thus is overly restrictive.  I took the approach of limiting
the MMC set less, not adding another hack.

If you have a problem with this, feel free to submit a patch updating
scsi_cd.c to have all the CDRIOC ioctls and fixing the API issues.  I
posted an email to cvs-all@ regarding what is needed.

-Nate