Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:17:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "ghost" user

I'm seeing something a little wierd on one of our servers.  A who shows

apache   ttyp0   Jun 19 08:06   (borg)
gschryer ttyp2   Jun 18 15:08   (135.205.95.104)

but gschryer is *not* logged in.  Furthermore, a w shows

USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
apache   p0  borg              8:06AM     - w
gschryer p2  H-135-205-95-104 Thu03PM 16:59 -

i.e. this "ghost" user appears to be doing nothing.  If I do a
"ps aux | grep gschryer" it returns nothing, i.e. no processes owned by
gschryer, not even a shell.  And grepping for "p2" also returns nothing,
there aren't even any processes owned by *any* ttys other than the p0 I'm
on.

Huh?  gschryer pointed this out to me, so I don't think there's anything
sinister going on.  But how could this happen and how (other than a
reboot) can I make it go away?