Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:37:55 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Patrick Hartling <mystify@friley63.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM == CAM Ate my Machine (and severly corrupted file systems too)

>} Was it wedged or did it panic or was it running normally and when you
>} attempted some operation failed?
>
>When I got back, it was waiting for me to provide a path to root's shell.

To trap this kind of condition again, can you compile your kernel with
"option DDB"?  This will cause a panic condition to break into the
debugger, effectively freezing the panic message and perhaps some useful
messages on the screen.

>Here's the dmesg output:

>bt0: bt_cmd: Timeout waiting for adapter ready, status = 0x0
>bt0: btfetchtransinfo - Inquire Setup Info Failed

I'm surprised by this.  We wait a full second for the adapter to
come ready.  There is a lot of traffic going on when we do the probe,
but still, a second is a long time.  As this command failed, the
negotiated transfer characteristics for da0 were not reported.
Can you try upping the maximum timeout in the bt driver for the adapter
to come ready?

In sys/dev/buslogice/bt.c:bt_cmd() ~line 1655 in my copy, you should see
this:

        /*
         * Wait up to 1 sec. for the adapter to become
         * ready to accept commands.
         */
        timeout = 10000;
        while (--timeout) {

                status = bt_inb(bt, STATUS_REG);
                if ((status & HA_READY) != 0
                 && (status & CMD_REG_BUSY) == 0)
                        break;
                DELAY(100);
        }

Change "timeout = 10000" to something like "timeout = 20000".

>(probe19:bt0:0:4:0): MODE SENSE(06). CDB: 1a 0 a 0 14 0
>(probe19:bt0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
>(probe19:bt0:0:4:0): Invalid field in CDB

This is non-fatal too.  Your Jaz doesn't support the control mode page.
I'll quite the error messages.

>(da4:bt0:0:4:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>(da4:bt0:0:4:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
>(da4:bt0:0:4:0): Medium not present

I thought we already had made this one silent.  Hmm.

--
Justin