Date:      Tue, 8 May 2012 16:31:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS resilvering strangles IO

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> Do you think it would make sense to try to play with zfs_resilver_delay directly in the ZFS kernel module?

This may be the wrong approach if the issue is really that there are
too many I/Os queued for the device.  Finding a tunable which reduces
the maximum number of I/Os queued for a disk device may help reduce
write latencies by limiting the backlog.

On my Solaris 10 system, I accomplished this via a tunable in
/etc/system:
set zfs:zfs_vdev_max_pending = 5

What is the equivalent for FreeBSD?

Bob