Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:14:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   path problems when 'su'-ing to root...

I asked this question before, and I didn't really get an answer that could
help me out.

I'm sure the answer is pretty simple... but I don't know where to find a
straigh-forward and concise solution to my problem (I really don't think
reading thick shell manuals will help me here).

I've noticed this on both FreeBSD machine (and on my Sparc 20 as well)...
whenever I 'su' as root, my "path" gets all screwed up.

When I login as root directly, I can access files in say, /usr/local/sbin
or something... but when I 'su' to root from my usual user account, I
can't access the files /usr/local/sbin, w/o typing the entire path first.
I can access files in /usr/local/sbin as a normal user w/o entering the
entire path and i can do it as root when I log in as root, but not when I
'su'.

Another thing I noticed... is that I need to type "./" before each command
otherwise the command won't work.

What's going on here?  Is there a special .bashrc or .profile or some sort
of file that is used when you specifically 'su' to root?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

-Sameer