Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 07:52:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      <freebsd@intelos.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   compaq prolient DL380 SCSI drive question

Hey Everyone,
I'm installing freebsd on a machine that has a 'compaq smart array
controller'. I've read the documentation 10.5. Adding Disks in the
handbook and it references drives as /dev/da1 etc.

This machine has five ULTRA2 SCSI drives. I expected fdisk to see five 9.1
gig SCSI drives like /dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3 etc. Instead, I came up
with two logical drives called /dev/idad0s1 (which I partitioned into swap
and /) makeing it /dev/idad0s1b and a. The other drive showed up as
idad1s1e (17343MB) which I made /disk2. Now, I don't understand how I got
this configuration as I wanted each disk to be mounted as a seperate mount
point as a dedicated bsd drive.

At this point I don't know if this has to do with the compaq BIOS or smart
array controller or the freeBSD setup itself.

If anyone could be of help, I'd much appriciate it!

Thank you,

Ashby Gochenour
Unix Administration
Network Operations