Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        kong@kong.spb.ru (Hostas Red)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange things: xl driver

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Hostas Red had
to walk into mine and say:

> > > xl0: autoneg not complete, no carrier
> >        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > This implies that the card was not plugged in at the time you
> > booted the machine. The autoneg code will only set the card's
> > modes correctly if it says 'autoneg complete.'
>
> It ALWAYS says that. My card forced to use 10Base-T/UTP mode by
> configuration program, not by ifconfig. But everything works.

Grrrrr.... pay attention because I'm only going to say this once:
the 3Com configuration program doesn't have anything to do with
programming the card's modes unless you use the 3Com drivers!!!
All it does it set some bits in the EEPROM that tell the Windows
drivers what to do: IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY SET THE CARD TO ANY PARTICULAR
MODE!!!! I _don't_ _care_ what you did with the 3Com config program:
this is _not_ Windows and settings have no effect unless you use
the Windows drivers!!!!

_Forget_ the damn config program and SET THE MODE CORRECTLY WITH
IFCONFIG LIKE I TOLD YOU TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

> Yes, it always says that. And it always plugged into network.

Something tells me your cabling should be checked.

> > - Did you try to force the mode to 10Mbps/half duplex with the command
> >   ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex?

> No.

THEN DO IT NOW! TYPE 'ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex'
RIGHT NOW!

> > - How do you have the interface configured in /etc/rc.conf?
>
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 195.19.252.147 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet 10.13 netmask 255.255.255.0"

No:

ifconfig_xl0="inet 195.19.252.147 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex"

Do it like that and use ifconfig to force the card to 10baseT/UTP like I
said to do before. Then tell me if it still gives you trouble.

-Bill