Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 14:52:56 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Ethics of Free Software

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 01:18:09PM -0700, Arun Sharma wrote:
> http://www.sdmagazine.com/features/2000/03/f4.shtml
>
> Just in case you missed this on slashdot.

I thought it was really, really silly, in the true spirit of
Meyer wars raging occassionally on comp.object (the most memorable
one being "had they used Eiffel, that rocket wouldn't have crashed!").

Meyer reveals philosophical naiveness so astonishing one feels
embarrassed for him. I was particularly amused by his incisive
analysis of the history of copyright, in which he failed to
display any awareness of the differences between material and
intellectual property, culminating with the passage which
redefines the word "ahistorical":

.. Until the 18th century, writers were ripped off by publishers. The
gradual imposition of a copyright (due largely in France to
Beaumarchais, author of the Barber of Seville and the Marriage of
Figaro as well as smuggler of arms to the American revolution) was a
major moral correction, re-establishing the rights of the creators.

*re*-establishing, Dr. Meyer?

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/