Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:24:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        "Ed P." <secure@r0ck.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: [linux-security] Re: Port 7 scan

This explains what is going on. Thank you. It does, though, raise a
couple of other questions:

The echo service is, AFIK, a peculiarly Unix service. Why do you
suppose they chose echo for the latency test as opposed to a simple
ping? Nearly everything with an ethernet card will respond to a ping
returning, I would think, more useful latency information than a
refused connect.

Since echo is Unixcentric and most new admins leave echo open, echo
will reveal far more about a machine than a ping. Could it be that
this is the intent?

Sorry for the paranoia.

-- Jay

[snip]