Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:10:16 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD question

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 11:20:17AM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I'm looking into working with CCD.  Is there a HOW-TO in the manual, I
> didn't find one on freebsd.org.
>
> It's not clear to me:
>
> In order to compile in support for the ccd, you must add a line
> similar to the following to your kernel configuration file:
>
>         pseudo-device ccd 4 # concatenated disk devices
>
>   The count argument is how many ccds memory is allocated for a boot
>   time.  In this example, no more than 4 ccds may be configured.
>
> whether this "ccds memory" and such refers to the number of actual
> physical /dev/ paritions or it's referring to the number of "ccds" as
> in the pseudo devices themselves.

The kernel config line you mention means that the kernel will support
a maximum of 4 ccd devices, and they would be /dev/ccd0, /dev/ccd1,
/dev/ccd2, and /dev/ccd3. Of course you have to make the dev entries
with MAKEDEV.

Also, you could use the ccd kernel module instead of recompiling a
kernel.  Actually, the next two sentences of the man page following your
quote above mention that so you probably already knew that.

HTH

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252