Date:      Tue, 23 May 1995 17:37:05 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: InterViews

 * From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>

Hi Chuck.  Did you get a response to your "how to make a patch"
message?  In case you haven't, the easiest way I can think of is:

mkdir original
mkdir new
tar -C original -xzf whatever.tar.gz
tar -C new -xzf whatever.tar.gz
go in to new and fix the stuff
cd new
diff -ru ../original . > ../patch-aa
      ^
    this is a "recursive" diff that will take the differences of the
    two directory subtrees

 * I have been working away, trying to get InterViews working, so I can turn
 * it into a port.  I have libIV.so.3.1 made, but I have some problems, and
 * I hope to get some comments here.  I used the code from sgi.com as a
 * base, and it's version 3.2a (dated from 1994, updating the 3.1 version
 * from 1992), but the produced lib is libIV.so.3.1.  D'you think I should
 * change this to libIV.so.3.2?  I have it making the shared libs, do you
 * think this is enough, because it's going to be a lot of hacking to have
 * it make static libs too.

If their code say 3.1, then it's probably 3.1.  The library version
numbers need to be bumped when the library "interface" changes, like
adding a new function (bump minor number), deleting a function (bump
major number), etc.

If we are hacking some source that doesn't come with shlib-creating
Makefiles and such, we need to make this decision by ourself...if the
code has its own measure to create shared libraries, we usually go
with their version numbers.

In this case, my guess is that there were no interface changes in the
shared library, so they didn't bump the version number between the
release of 3.1 and 3.2a of the code.

 * Lastly, one of the included applications doesn't link correctly, and I've
 :
 * Could anyone having a libIV out there, who reads this, please send me a
 * copy of the output of a "nm -o" listing, by mail?

Sorry, can't help you on this one....

Satoshi