Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:35:45 -0500
From:      "Robinson, Scott" <Scott.Robinson@morganstanley.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation freeBSD

Thanks Nathan.

I'll try to correct and clarify my previous thread.  Following the
installation handbook I had to boot from floppies.  When I got to the Kernel
Configuration Menu I chose the full-screen visual mode (suggested).  That
screen shows active drivers on top and inactive on the bottom.  I deleted
the conflicts and was left active drivers on the expanded driver list
(figure 2.3 in the handbook).  I assume the one pertinent to the CDROM is
the "ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller" which has a Dev: ata0,  IRQ: 14,
and Port:  0x1f0.

With no conflicts I then quit and saved. The PC performed its device probe
and reviewing the buffer I saw the response "ata0:  ATA identify retries
exceeded".  Continuing with the sysinstall I am unable to install
distributions from CDROM.  The response is (paraphrase):  CD/DVD device not
found.  It then asks me to check the configuration.

No I'm not 100% sure the CDROM is 100% functional (it hasn't been used
recently) although I've never had a problem before.  I shall attempt to

Could you elaborate on the following:
>As far as
>I know you should only need to add the following line to your kernconf
>for most IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives:
>device          atapicd

How is that done?

**** Important Notice to Recipients ****
It is important that you do not use e-mail to request, authorize or effect
the purchase or sale of any security or commodity, to send fund transfer
instructions, or to effect any other transactions.  Any such request,
orders, or instructions that you send will not be accepted and will not be
processed by Morgan Stanley.