Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:06:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for 2.2.5 for mmap fails?

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Mike Grommet wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I've been trying to patch a 2.2.5 machine for the mmap problem specified
> in FreeBSD-SA-98:04
>
> The only problem is that for some silly reason, the guy who set up this
> machine did not install the source.  no problem, I got the 2.2.5 source and
> installed it... that went great.

Where did you get it?  Current version is 2.2.6-RELEASE BTW.

> I go to use the patch found at
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-98:02/mmap-22
>
> but it fails for all 3 chunks... well, I thought maybe the source I
> downloaded was already patched, so I went looking in the file I am trying to
> patch (vm_mmap.c) for evidence
> of the new code, but guess what I dont find the new code, and I dont find
> the old code either that the patch file is trying to replace so is this
> version patched or not?
> anyone got a working patch file for 2.2.5?

What version is reported in the $ Id: ... $ line at the top of vm_mmap.c?

You might find the page:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/vm/vm_mmap.c

useful.  This the source repository browser -- you can check out specific
versions of files, or create new patches between specific versions of the
file.  By that you should have version 1.53.2.2 with 2.2.5-RELEASE.  The
diff should bring you up to 1.53.2.3.  I'd suggest moving all the way up
to rev 1.53.2.4 since there haven't been any major structural changes to
the file and .2.4 fixes another security hole.

NOTICE:  gdi.uoregon.edu is going down, please use dwhite@resnet!