Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2011 02:19:47 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: again, ports that stop daemons

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:25:25PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 13:18, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> >> BTW, this part of my suggestion was inspired by the following:
> >> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage_11.3#Check_processes
> >>
> >> Not sure how that feature is implemented though.
> >>
> > FYI, since a few minutes, pkgng handle rc scripts, disabled by default =
because I
> > still consider this feature dangerous.
> > to activate it is:
> > HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS=3Dyes in pkg.conf
>=20
> I previously described what I thought was a pretty good way to handle
> this question that addressed the needs expressed by all of the posters
> on the previous thread, but my suggestion didn't get any responses.
> Since this has come up again, it would be helpful (to me at least) if
> people would think about my idea, and if nothing else tell me why I'm
> wrong. :)
>=20
> Quoting:
>=20
> Speaking only for myself I hate the idea of stopping/starting services
> automatically. However this feature is often requested, and is something
> that is provided by many other package systems. If we have people who
> are willing to do the work I think it's worth discussing how to do it
> properly.
>=20
> The way that I envision it working
> would be a 3-knob system. One knob to always restart the services, one
> to never do it; and then asking on a per-port basis, which should be the
> default. I can imagine portmaster detecting this option in the pre-build
> phase similarly to how it detects and warns about IS_INTERACTIVE now,
> and giving the user a menu of options for how to handle it. I'm happy to
> add more details if people are interested.
>=20
> Where this actually becomes interesting is not in the ports
> build/install process, which is pretty easy to deal with, but with
> package installs/deinstalls. I definitely think it's doable, what we
> probably want to do is put a knob for this in the port's Makefile, and
> handle the stop/start for both the port and the package with a little
> script that can be included in the package, and run with @exec and @unexe=
c.
>=20
>=20

Personally I think this is a little overboard... not your idea but the fact=
 of trying to determine a function of restarting services for the user. If =
end-user is upgrading a package they should be prepared to take any neccesa=
ry action to start the services again after final actions are complete. Des=
perate services could have a periodic script that could handle the checks f=
or these services and I strongly advise against taking any action whatsoeve=
r on starting or restarting or reloading. Stop the service if need be but n=
ever "assume" anything about starting a service without strict user interac=
tion.

If at all likelyness that this happens then I have one request... One simpl=
e knob that defaults to ``NO'' for restarting or starting or reloading. I t=
hink this is at least reasonable.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--