Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:38:48 -0800
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba encrypted passwords and question to Ted Mittelstaedt...

Hi, everybody. Probably some of you have got Ted Mittelstaedt's excellent
book, The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide. I was wondering if Ted and
others could resolve this question, as I am working tonight on getting
encrypted passwords to work on my FreeBSD 4.3 system.

On page 246 of his book, 1/2 way down, this quote:
"For various reasons the precompiled Samba software distributed with FreeBSD
has encryption disabled by default. To support encryption, the Samba server
must be recompiled, which is one reason I recommend downloading the latest
version of Samba and compiling it."

My system is FreeBSD, 4.3-BETA, cvsup-ed two weeks ago.  The samba version
is 2.0.7, obtained from the latest sources on the ftp.freebsd.org server.
Ted, is your statement true under these circumstances?  Mailing Group: what
procedure did you follow to get encrypted passwords working on your FreeBSD
recent systems? Do I have to use the /usr/local/bin/convert_smbpasswd
binary?

Cheers,
Forrest