Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:18:57 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> The most appropriate version of any operating system to run on your server
> is the oldest one that meets your requirements.  Otherwise you will spend
> your life doing someone else's debugging.

I think the point is that if everyone took that opinion then -stable
would never get stress-tested in the sort of environment that Marc is
using it, and we would never find some problems until a -release was
rolled making the -release far less stable than we are used to.

I think it's great that Marc is willing to run -stable in such an
environment, basically for the good of the communuity to help to iron
out bugs before a release. The problem is that he has been getting an
unacceptably high level of crashes and no help in ironing out the bugs.
Unfortunately these situations need someone with a high level of
knowledge to sit down and work with Marc's crash dumps to figure out
what the problem is. And those people are few and far between.....

Andrew.