Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:20:57
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpd-netgraph log questions

Still struggling with PPTP...
Trying to decipher the logfile in order to ask more appropriate  questions
and get this working.

I have these iface's configured at startup:
dc0 (home LAN 192.168.128.0)
lp0 (? never used)
lo0 (loopback)
ppp0 (? never used)
sl0 (? never used)
faith0 (ipv4 -> ipv6)
wi0 (ISP WAN 10.10.2.0, internet connection via VPN)

When I run mpd I get ng0 as well (netgraph, it seems).

I think I've narrowed my problem down to my configuration files. I *think*
I'm able to connect with the VPN/PPTP server:

Multi-link PPP for FreeBSD, by Archie L. Cobbs.
Based on iij-ppp, by Toshiharu OHNO.
mpd: pid 627, version 3.3 (root@a969.freebase.no 22:47 18-Nov-2001)
[:] load access
[access] ppp node is "mpd627-access"
[access] using interface ng0
mpd: option "mppc" unknown
mpd: option "mppc" unknown
[access:access] open
[access] IFACE: Open event
[access] IPCP: Open event
[access] IPCP: state change Initial --> Starting
[access] IPCP: LayerStart
[access:access] [access] bundle: OPEN event in state CLOSED
[access] opening link "access"...
[access] link: OPEN event
[access] LCP: Open event
[access] LCP: state change Initial --> Starting
[access] LCP: LayerStart
[access] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
pptp0: connecting to 10.10.1.1:1723
[access] device is now in state OPENING
pptp0: connected to 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0: attached to connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0-0: outgoing call connected at 64000 bps
[access] PPTP call successful
[access] device: UP event in state OPENING
[access] device is now in state UP
[access] link: UP event
[access] link: origination is local
[access] LCP: Up event
[access] LCP: state change Starting --> Req-Sent
[access] LCP: phase shift DEAD --> ESTABLISH
[access] LCP: SendConfigReq #1

( I don't know why it says connected at 64000 bps! Its a pptp node, not a
ppp node, isn't it?)

However, I never get any further, and the program keeps retrying:

[access] LCP: SendConfigReq #3
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM c685c33c
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[access] LCP: rec'd Configure Reject #3 link 0 (Ack-Sent)
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT

so here I'm guessing that something is configured wrong and everything
stops, because after about 10 retries I get the following:

[access] LCP: not converging
[access] LCP: parameter negotiation failed
[access] LCP: state change Ack-Sent --> Stopped
[access] LCP: LayerFinish
[access] device: CLOSE event in state UP
pptp0-0: clearing call
[access] device is now in state CLOSING
[access] device: DOWN event in state CLOSING
[access] device is now in state DOWN

And then everything starts again. I've checked and double checked my
login/password, they are correct (besides, I'm sure a program as
comprehensive as this one would say "invalid password" if that was the case
- right?) Do I need a chap.secrets file in /etc or /etc/ppp? I assumed all I
need is a mpd.conf, mpd.links and mpd.secrets. What am I missing (besides an
internet connection :-)?

Regards,
Thor