Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:24:04 +1030 (CST)
From:      brawley@communica.com.au (Ivan Brawley)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 time change(Format support)

> : How about the year 2038 problem, then ? =-) I believe time_t
> : overflows then.
> Only if we're all still running 32 bit hardware, or with a 32 bit
> time_t :-)

Its solely if we are using a 31bit time_t. (its a signed long). Make it an
unsigned long and we get another 68 (or there abouts) years. Make it a 64bit
number (yeah, will need to add extra code to handle the maths) and be
set for quite a while...

But then again, why use 00:00:00 1-Jan-1970 as the epoch. Its only used for
hysterical (historical, these words are usually inter-changeable :-) reasons.

ivan.