Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 15:41:08 -0700
From:      Kip Macy <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS MFC heads up

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> At 05:59 PM 5/20/2009, Kip Macy wrote:
>>
>> If you choose to upgrade a pool to take advantage of new features you
>> will no longer be able to use it with sources prior to today. 'zfs
>> send/recv' is not expected to inter-operate between different pool
>> versions.
>
> Hi,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Thanks for working on ZFS! =A0 Is there a summary of the n=
ew features
> somewhere ?
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0---Mike

Primarily what was in Pawel's commit to HEAD (see below).

The following changes have also been brought in:

- the recurring deadlock was fixed by deferring vinactive to a dedicated th=
read
-  zfs boot for all types now works
- kmem now goes up to 512GB so arc is now limited by physmem
- the arc now experiences backpressure from the vm (which can be too
much - but allows ZFS to work without any tunables on amd64)

Revision 185029 - (view) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Modified Mon Nov 17 20:49:29 2008 UTC (6 months ago) by pjd
File length: 38244 byte(s)
Diff to previous 177698

Update ZFS from version 6 to 13 and bring some FreeBSD-specific changes.

This bring huge amount of changes, I'll enumerate only user-visible changes=
:

- Delegated Administration

	Allows regular users to perform ZFS operations, like file system
	creation, snapshot creation, etc.

- L2ARC

	Level 2 cache for ZFS - allows to use additional disks for cache.
	Huge performance improvements mostly for random read of mostly
	static content.

- slog

	Allow to use additional disks for ZFS Intent Log to speed up
	operations like fsync(2).

- vfs.zfs.super_owner

	Allows regular users to perform privileged operations on files stored
	on ZFS file systems owned by him. Very careful with this one.

- chflags(2)

	Not all the flags are supported. This still needs work.

- ZFSBoot

	Support to boot off of ZFS pool. Not finished, AFAIK.

	Submitted by:	dfr

- Snapshot properties

- New failure modes

	Before if write requested failed, system paniced. Now one
	can select from one of three failure modes:
	- panic - panic on write error
	- wait - wait for disk to reappear
	- continue - serve read requests if possible, block write requests

- Refquota, refreservation properties

	Just quota and reservation properties, but don't count space consumed
	by children file systems, clones and snapshots.

- Sparse volumes

	ZVOLs that don't reserve space in the pool.

- External attributes

	Compatible with extattr(2).

- NFSv4-ACLs

	Not sure about the status, might not be complete yet.

	Submitted by:	trasz

- Creation-time properties

- Regression tests for zpool(8) command.

Obtained from:	OpenSolaris