Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:35:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        "Wilkinson,Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [hardware] Tagged Command Queuing or Larger Cache ?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Wilkinson,Alex wrote:

> Howdy Crew,
>
> I am about to buy a new hard disk for my FreeBSD work station.
> Since FreeBSD's ATA drivers implement Tagged Command Queuing and IBM make
> the only ATA disks that implement tagged command queuing ( ie since the 60GXP family ),
> an IBM 40GB 120GXP "looks like" the best solution.
>
> However, my question is:
>
> Do the benifits from a having a larger disk cache such as the "WD 40GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache"
> has, outweigh the benefits of Tagged Command Queuing ?

You might want to give that a bit of thought.  IBM, while producing OK
scsi disks, has had a really terrible headache getting reliability into
their IDE products.  Additionally, IBM just sold their entire hard disk
product line to some other company.  I don't know if that had anything to
do with their well-publicized IDE reliability problems or not, but I'd
fight shy of any IBM IDE disks, in any app which requires any kind of
stability.

If you don't care about reliability, tho, there are some good deals I've
seen on those disks, tho ... being dumped in mass cheaply.  Again, this
has nothing to do with their scsi disks, which are just fine.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.