Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:43:27 -0500
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RTFM: it works!!

As somebody usually on the low end of the knowledge curve, I had to throw
this in on behalf of the perennial neophytes in the group.

Sometimes, R'ing the FM is hindered by one's inability to know where to
find the FM.  Particularly when dealing with Open Source projects, you
always get the sense that there may be scads of documentation out there,
but where do you find it?  It ain't usually on the shelves at your local
bookseller.  And an Internet search is only as good as your ability to give
good search parameters.  You want to set up a Windows network?  Then type
"Windows networking" into your favorite search engine and then sift through
half a million pages (most of which are advertising) to find the
information you need.  Yeah, right.

So you ask your resident "expert" or list of experts for the information
that you think they may have readily available, hoping to save yourself
some time.  Well this person has been answering questions far beneath his
level of comprehension/interest for the past ten days, and here you come
with another stupid one.  "Why can't you just read the source code like I
did when I was learning and figure it out for yourself?  And if it doesn't
work, then submit a patch."  Idiots like me shouldn't even be allowed to
install FreeBSD.  Sure would cut down on stupid support questions.

Anyway, as somebody who just wants to *do* stuff with FreeBSD/UNIX (as
opposed to learning how it all really works at its core), I just had to get
that off my chest.  I feel better already. :-)

--Chip Morton