Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ayan George <ayan@kiwi.datasys.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   philosophy of web administration

Hello all,

I work at a rapidly growing ISP.  Charged with the task of installing
a new web server, I'm faced with this dilema:

The current web server is Linux based.  All users use their home
directory to store web data -- not ~user/public_html.  For a _long_
time, virtual domains were all kept in a separate directory.  We've
recently started putting customer's virtual domain information into
subdirectories in their home directories like:

	~user/mydomain.com/

I'd like to implement a standard web directory structure where a
user has to place his or her web information in the standard
public_html directory.  If they want a domain, a subdirectory called
domains will be added.  Under it, directories for each of their
domains would reside like:

	~user/public_html/
	~user/domains/mydomain.com/
	~user/domains/myseconddomain.com/
	~user/domains/logs/  ( for log files for domains. )

I think this system will require less maintainance when customers
create a domain and the files related to their user personal home
pages and those for their domains never intersect.

Another consideration is that we currently have approximately 300
customers who are used to the current way of publishing their web
pages.

Okay, my questions:

	(1) Does my web directory hierarcy make sense?

	(2) Is all of this worth bugging 300 customers for?