Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:01:11 -0500
From:      Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   per-port make.conf options and hyphenated port names

At some point in the last couple of weeks I was pointed at =
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/Options/OptionsNG>; as what has been =
implemented to deprecate make.conf settings such as =93WITHOUT_X11=3Dyes=94=
.   That document says it has been committed, but the porters handbook =
section on OPTIONS doesn=92t discuss the ${port}_SET/${port}_UNSET =
syntax, and I can=92t find mention of it in /usr/ports/KNOBS either.

I=92m trying to find specifics on the implementation because I=92ve run =
into a case that document doesn=92t seem to plan for:  trying to set =
per-port options for a hyphenated port name.

Specifically, I=92m trying to do this:
virtualbox-ose-additions_UNSET=3DX11

Hyphenated variable names don=92t work in most shells.  I think some =
older versions of csh could set them, but couldn't reference them, and =
tinderbox=92s sh scripts blow right up when they encounter that.

Digging through /usr/ports/Mk/ I can=92t find anywhere that $UNIQUENAME =
is modified to guarantee that it references a safe variable name (i.e. I =
don=92t see anywhere that $UNIQUENAME has reserved characters removed =
from it before use).  So, given that a lot of times $UNIQUENAME is just =
the name of the port, and a lot of ports have hyphens in their names, =
how is this meant to be dealt with?

Thanks for any pointers or help!=